Thursday, March 29, 2012

pearls

Will be visiting Beijing in Februauy, 2007. Where is the best place to but real cultured fresh water pearls in Beijing. I%26#39;m not an expert on pearls, so do you know a reputable dealer? I also will be looking to buy jade jewelry.

Thanks

pearls

If you%26#39;re not an expert about pearls and jade, and you%26#39;re looking to buy REAL stuff, my advice would be not to -- especially for jade. How would you really know if you%26#39;re getting what you%26#39;re paying for?

Well, if you still want to try, you might head to Hongqiao market.

pearls

I agree, I never try to buy anything of any value that is %26#39;real%26#39; or %26#39;authentic%26#39; in China unless I am sure I know how to tell if it is real or fake.

You can get cheap strands of freshwater pearls at Hongqiao market. As far as I know, they are real pearls, but they are low-quality. You are not going to get a necklace worth hundreds of dollars for just a dollar or two. You might pay fifty or sixty dollars for one worth just a dollar or two, though.

So don%26#39;t go to Hongqiao to buy fine jewelry, but just something you like that you can wear or give as a low-cost gift that someone might enjoy.

I assume most %26#39;jade%26#39; for sale is not jade at all (I%26#39;ve even seen people trying to pass off plastic as jade!)


Hi there,

I agree it is difficult to know the good from the bad, but the bad ALWAYS looks bad.

I have been buying pearls (both fresh water which are not perfectly round but can have great luster) and salt water pearls and have had them appraised in Ct for good prices for the past 10 years.

On the 5th floor of the Pearl Market is a woman named Jane at Jane%26#39;s shop.

I am just passing this on. I have no affilation with her other than the fact that I feel secure she will not give me dyed black fresh water pearls and say they are tahitians or that potato body pearls will be passed off as Mikimotos. She is fair, but as was indicated before,

buy only if you like the pearls.

There is a website...pearlguide.com that has experts that help you understand how pearls are made and sold.

You may want to check it out to educate yourself before you leave.

other wise it is like ';casting pearls before swine';....meaning unless we know SOMETHING about the item we purchase, there is no incentive to show any really good items that can be affordable.

Good luck and have a blast!


for jade,maybe you should go to jade carving factory visit it.go to Hongqiao pearl market for purchase,good price there.


Please understand that I never buy Jade as It appears to me that the stones are either carnelian or adventurine and they cost a lot.

For little gifts, I have bought ';chops'; which are stone with your name in chinese inscribed at the end.

Some are intricately carved, not jade, but look like what people are selling for jade and they can be large or small.

People loved that they can show a nicely carved gift from China.

I have never found ANY nice jade at the Pearl Market.

  • cat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment