Monday, April 16, 2012

Going to Kowloon in August

Hi,



I am going to Hong Kong for a 6 night trip starting August 21, 2007. I heard the weather is hot and rainy then, but how quick does it clear up? My concern is finding a clear night and day for pictures at the peak. I am staying at Langham Place and have not been to HK since my Navy days 14 years ago, I am VERY exited! I am going in August because that was the only way I could afford this trip and be able to stay in a nice Hotel. I am planning on bringing at least $2,000 for shopping, meals and attractions. I am a single guy as well, are there bars where lots of westerners, (Ausie, Brits, Irish, etc) Hang out? Also, I would like to go to some ';local'; hangouts and mingle with the native HK people. I am not interested in any of the ';girly'; bars and want to avoid any seedy places where there is prostitution or illegal activity. Thanks! KateTam if you read this will you help me out?





Going to Kowloon in August


August weather is hit-or-miss. It can rain for a couple of days straight, or it can also be just hot and humid. This is unlike the monsoon season of Thailand where it might rain hard for a couple of hours and then clear up with bright sunshine.





For bars, go to Lockhart Road in Wan Chai near Admiralty or Lan Kwai Fong in Central. You will see plenty of Western places at both. You will find some of the ';girly'; bars and nightclubs at Wan Chai, but while they might try to solicit your business, you can just walk right by and ignore them. It%26#39;s definitely very safe and there is no need to worry. There are also some nice cheap eats nearby.





Do be careful with your money. While pickpockets are nowhere near as rampant as certain places in Europe, you still need to be careful especially on trains.



Going to Kowloon in August


Thanks SammyFloyd!




Don%26#39;t worry so much about the weather. There always something to do, and places to go.... no matter what. Just trust you will have a good time. Don%26#39;t worry about things that you cannot control.





August is HOT..... Langham Place is awesome .... since you haven%26#39;t been back for 14 years. You will like it. It%26#39;s really nice.





I think besides Lan Kwai Fong, you would like Soho.... so many nice little bars, restaurants, and speakeasies have opened.....





Knutsford Terrace is also ok.





$ 2000 US ? shopping.... you should have lots of fun. It%26#39;s the HK shopping festival during August. Major sales and promotions.





Hope you have lots of fun!




there are little places all over the Mid Levels nowadays, near the escalator, u can start from Lan Kwai Fong but the thing is, u r in Kowloon side so u want to get over to HK island every night for clubbing ?





I dont know Kowloon well enough to tell u where to go on that side but I am sure others can share their knowledge. Besides u said u want to mix with the locals so kowloon might be a better spot.





Good Luck





tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8229-Hong_Kong鈥?/a>




I was in HK of August last year...the weather was definitely hot, you will need a few showers a day if you are walking around! It is a fun place though so it is worth it. I did not experience too much rain while I was there, just humidity. Also, it is very sunny. I think the chinese there are very used to the sunshine, but it is very bright sometimes.





I stayed at the Langham also, it is a great place....perfect location, and the manager and concierge are the most helpful. The food at breakfast is also delicious, if you are a big breakfast eater, definitely go for the breakfast buffet deal where the price is in your room rate.





Have a great time!




I travelled last year in August and it was certainly hot and steamy, it is also Typhoon season, but be careful if you do go to Disneyland



as it closes if a Typhoon is approaching which is what happened to us! But I loved HKG and would go again. We also stayed at the Langham - fantastic hotel, make sure you get the breakfast included its to die for and when you go to breakfast say Hello to our favourite waitress Aliy - she has heaps of helpful info on things to do etc. The buffet dinner was worth doing at least once! IF you like asian food - i imange you do - the food court in the shopping centre is great value and good food also.



Enjoy!





tm




Hi everyone and thanks for all your kind replies, I have been in Hawaii for the last 1o days and had not checked back here. I will most definately post pictures and video when I get back.




Hi Nice American, U looks like a videographer. I don%26#39;t know whether u can help me..I am looking for shops in Kowloon area where I can buy pirated or original software for video editing. I am an amature videographer and using video editing software Adobe Premiere Pro1.5. I am not a pro but a hobbyist. Are u doing video editing as a hobby. I have posted so many enquiries and still not received a reasonable answer or advice. Hope and wish u can help me. Thanks muchly




Pushpas,



I think you would do better for software down in OZ. If you are a student, even at a continuing adult class, you can purchase Adobe and Apple software very cheap and more importantly, legal. I don%26#39;t recomend pirated software as this is illegal. If you can afford it, get an IMAC with Apples Final Cut Pro from an Apple store there in Australlia. Otherwise, Adobe makes a ';light'; version of Premiere for around 100 US. I hope that helps. I shoot for a living and edit on Apple Final Cut Pro, but there are many other options available at a much lower cost.




Tks fr yr comments reg S/W. Have u ever purchased any editing s/w when u were in HK?? If so from where in HK?? Sorry I am not an Apple fan. I have 2 desktop IBM comp PCs + Laptop (IBM Comp)...so no way going for FinalCutPro. Is it illegal to buy and take duplicated s/w from HK? thru the airport?? Tks

No comments:

Post a Comment